The Washington Redskins Communications Department offers summer, season-long and spring internships. The internships are designed for either undergraduate or graduate students and are unpaid positions. All candidates must be able to receive course credit for the internship. The intern will have the opportunity to learn about the responsibilities of a National Football League communications staff while working as a member of the department and assisting in its day-to-day functions.
Interns must be able to work extended hours including some nights and weekends. A background in public/media relations or sport management is strongly encouraged. Candidates must possess strong written and oral communication skills. The intern will be required to participate in a mandatory background check and drug testing at the beginning of the internship.
Summer Internship Responsibilities (May – July)
- Oversee the compilation and distribution of daily news clips.
- Write and edit material for use in the team’s annual media guide.
- Assist with Mini Camp and OTAs.
- Aid in facilitation and coordination of player and coach interviews.
- Assist with transcribing daily quotes.
- Facilitate various requests by media members for information, statistics, etc.
- Assist with Training Camp credential preparation.
- Research statistical information for management, coaches, scouts and other personnel as needed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Communications staff.
Intern Candidate Requirements:
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate/graduate student.
- Candidate MUST receive college credit in order to qualify for this internship – proof of credit letter from your College or University is required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Can work independently when given a task and have the focus to follow through and follow up if problems arise.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office mandatory, Adobe Creative Suite encouraged).
- Team player humble enough to handle a variety of tasks; no job beneath them.
- Ability to handle physical requirements of job including setting up equipment for events and other light to medium lifting.
- Ability to interact with players, staff and the community in a professional manner.
- Proven experience to appropriately work with and around confidential information is necessary.
Reports to: Senior Vice President; Director of Communications; Media Services Coordinator; Corporate Communications Manager
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume, including at least three references. Writing samples may be requested by the organization at a later date.