The Washington Redskins Communications Department offers season-long internships. The internships are designed for either undergraduate or graduate students and are unpaid positions. All candidates must be able to receive course-credit for the internship. The intern will have the opportunity to learn about the responsibilities of a National Football League communications staff while working as a member of the department and assisting in its day-to-day functions.
Interns must be able to work extended hours including some nights and weekends. A background in public/media relations or sports management is strongly encouraged. Candidates must possess strong written and oral communication skills. The intern will be required to participate in a mandatory background check and drug testing at the beginning of the internship.
Fall Internship Responsibilities (August – December)
- Aid in facilitation and coordination of player and coach interviews.
- Help with production and editing of the team’s media guide, weekly release and various publications.
- Facilitate various requests by media members for information, statistics, etc.
- Assist in distribution of credentials on a daily basis well as for home games.
- Oversee daily newspaper clips and their distribution.
- Assist in transcribing and distribution of daily quotes.
- Monitor player interviews during open locker room.
- Maintain the media room at Redskins Park, keeping it fully stocked with updated team information.
- Assist with preseason and home games.
- Prepare press box for game day.
- Research statistical information for management, coaches, scouts and internal department as needed.
- Attend and assist with community events.
- General office work to include email, phones, faxes, sending packages, etc.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Communications staff.
Intern Candidate Requirements:
· Full-time undergraduate/graduate student.
· Candidate MUST receive college credit in order to qualify for this internship – proof of credit letter from your College or University is required.
· Polite, positive, self-starter who works well with others.
· Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
· Strong writing skills.
· Detail-oriented and organized.
· Can work independently when given a task and have the focus to follow through & follow-up if problems arise.
· Computer skills (Microsoft Office proficient).
· Proactive in asking questions when needed.
· Team player, humble enough to handle a variety of tasks; no job beneath them.
· Ability to handle physical requirements of job including setting up equipment for events and other light to medium lifting.
· Ability to interact with players, staff and the community in a professional manner.
· Proven experience to appropriately work with and around confidential information is necessary.
Reports to: Senior Vice President; Director of Communications; Media Services Coordinator; Corporate Communications Manager
If you wish to become a part of this dynamic, fast-paced organization and you meet the requirements listed above, please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume